I’ve always wanted to be a part of a food co-op. Unfortunately, there’s never been one available in the areas where we’ve lived. I recently found an alternative and I’m thrilled to share it with you. If you’ve been interested in finding a co-op or would love a way to save on your meat, keep reading!
This post contains referral links. I’m a Zaycon Fresh influencer and I earn money when you use these links to join.
We are serious carnivores around here, so naturally, I spend a great deal on meat each month. I offset that by having a shopping list and trying to stick to our meal planning, but I’m always looking for new ways to save. That’s why I’m excited about Zaycon Fresh.
What is Zaycon Fresh?
Zaycon Fresh offers customers the opportunity to buy specific types of meat each month, which they order in advance and pick up at a predetermined location in their area.
In a food co-op, the group buys in bulk direct from the source, resulting in higher quality, fresher food and of course, lower prices. Zaycon Fresh is pretty much a food co–op, but they only sell meat. It’s a very smart way to shop for meat because cutting out the middleman (i.e. the grocery store) leads to more savings.
How does Zaycon Fresh work?
- After you sign up as a Zaycon Fresh customer, you receive notifications on meat selection and pick up dates (you can find this on the website as well).
- You order your meat selection in advance and pick it up in 1–4 months. This is how a group buying system works. When many can order directly from the supplier, it drives the price down. As a result, this is done over a several month time period to ensure the requirements of the group discount price.
- You order the meats in bulk–generally 40 lb cases at a time. This is perfect for large families, and if you have a small family like mine, it’s a great opportunity to find friends to go in with.
- At the specified day/time of your local pickup, a refrigerated truck will arrive in your area. Pickup locations might be anywhere between 5-30 minutes from your home and they are always in the parking lot of a private business or organization where arrangements have been made.
- When you arrive to the pick-up location, you stay in your car, roll down your window and give the driver your name. You’ll then pop the trunk and they’ll place a plastic sheet down to protect your vehicle and load your order into your trunk. (How convenient!)
By the way, they also have an Influencer program where you can earn a little cash and it makes a great fundraiser, so be sure to look into those things!
Why buy meat this way instead of from the grocery store?
You know I’m all about making mama’s life easier, so here are a few reasons why this helps:
- The cost is 30–50% less than the grocery store depending on the type of meat you buy.
- Most all of the meat is delivered farm fresh, never frozen (there are some exceptions like the Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon since it comes from Alaska).
- The quality is compared to the higher quality options in the grocery store. The local farms are hand-picked and Zaycon is committed to providing the highest quality. If at any time a farm does not meet their strict standards, they will drop this farm and meat will not be available in this area until an acceptable replacement is found.
- It’s convenient!
- They’ve been around since 2009 and they have a great reputation and an A+ BBB.com rating.
- They offer great sales! These change often, but can be found on the website.
How do I order from Zaycon Fresh?
Ordering is really easy!
- First, click to sign up as a new customer (you can cut and paste my referral link as well: https://www.zayconfresh.com/refer/zonemom).
- Log in to your Zaycon account.
- At the top of the page, click on shop by product or by location.
- Find the meat offerings you are interested in. Clicking on the pictures will lead you to additional details.
- Once you arrive on the Locations page, find your closest location and select “Purchase Now.”
- Add as many cases as you would like.
- If there is a coupon code, enter it at checkout.
- At secure checkout, enter your payment information.
- You will receive a confirmation email of your order and you will also see your order history under “My Account.”
- Wait for your pickup date and time, then enjoy!
You’ll notice in the screenshot above that there’s a promo code available through October 20th. The code, 25NOW will save you $25 on your first order. Use it on chicken breasts this month, you’ll snag them for just $1.27 per pound!
If you order, do leave a comment and let me know. I’m still looking for a friend in the area to join me. I’ll update you once we place our first order.
Psst…Pin this to save and share!
Larger image will open in Pinterest window
Anitra has been sharing useful ideas for moms at The Mama Zone since 2009. She’s a wife, mom of two and an elementary school teacher, turned homeschooling mom. She’s also an online influencer and ebook author who enjoys writing to help other moms and to build strong families.