Oh, my little guy and I had fun with this one! He is totally into paper creations these days—air planes, rockets and of course, ninja stars. I’ve been watching him fold and transform any scrap of paper he can find, so I decided to turn his obsession with Origami into a cool Valentine for boys.
There are two things you’ll need to create this boy-friendly Valentine. One is our Ninja Star Valentine printable and the other is a kid who knows how to make ninja stars. If you’re missing that second element, don’t worry–my son was more than willing to create both a picture and video tutorial to teach your kids how to make the origami ninja stars (also called a shuriken). The photo tutorial follows. Scroll down for the video version. (Note, the printable should open in a new window, but you might want to also check your tabs).
Here we go… (it’s easier than it looks!)
Click on any of the images to enlarge them. If an image appears to be missing, simply click the icon that shows up.
- Fold an 8 ½”x11” sheet of paper in half hamburger style.
- Cut it down the middle.
- Fold and cut those two sheets in half again. You should end up with 4 pieces of paper measuring 2 ¾” by 8 ½” 11 each (this will get you 2 ninja stars).
- Fold one of the small sheets of paper in half hotdog style.
- Fold in half again. This time hamburger style, then unfold so you can see the crease.
- Fold the right side down on a diagonal so the edge of your paper meets the crease you made in step 5.
- Fold the left side up on a diagonal.
- Flip the paper over.
- Fold the top edge down to the top crease (see step 9 photo).
- Fold the top edge down again, this time diagonally.
- Turn and repeat steps 9 and 10 with the other half.
- Fold both edges in on a diagonal once more.
- Repeat the entire process and unfold your two pieces.
- Lay one piece on top of the other (one horizontally, one vertically).
- Fold three of the corners in, one on top of the other. We start at the bottom and go clockwise.
- Lay the final corner on top of the other three.
- Tuck the final corner in.
- Enjoy your Origami Ninja Star!
We used Scotch Removable Clear Mounting Squares to stick our ninja stars onto our Valentines. The stars might take a first-timer a while to make, but it amazes me how quickly my son makes them now that he knows how. For those of you who prefer a video version, it’s below and there are a ton of other instructional videos on YouTube (that’s where he first learned.).
Hope you enjoy his tutorial. If you did, please leave him a comment to let him know you appreciate his hard work! Happy Valentine’s day.
Become an Insider to keep up with these posts.
Anitra has been sharing useful ideas for moms at The Mama Zone since 2009. She’s a wife, mom of two and an elementary school teacher, turned homeschooling mom. She’s also an online influencer and ebook author who enjoys writing to help other moms and to build strong families.