This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MoscatoMoments #CollectiveBias The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older.
It’s summer–the perfect time to reconnect with late night strolls, walks along the beach and quick romantic getaways. It’s also a great time for a romantic picnic hosted right in your backyard! I’ve got all the tips you need to make it happen and Sutter Home has new Moscato Blends to help you make it unforgettable.
Planning a Simple Summer Date Night Picnic
I had so much fun with this. The hubby and I are entering our 22nd summer as married people and this date night picnic was a lovely way to kick it off. This is an idea anyone can pull together with very little stress (so don’t be intimidated, men!!). Here’s everything I did to make our romantic summer picnic special.
Supplies for Your Romantic Picnic
- A clever invitation. I’ve got 2 for you. One you can download and send as a text or email (on the left) and one you can print out (on the right). Just remember to add exactly when and where your date will take place. (Find instructions for both invitations at the bottom of the post.)
- Picnic basket. Don’t break the bank here. Choose something pretty and reusable to carry everything in and call it a day.
- Picnic blanket. I wanted a round one, so I DIY’d it! If all else fails, grab a blanket from around the house (guys, just make sure it’s not your wife’s expensive comforter).
- Pillows. You want to be comfortable out there, so grab some pillows and cushions that are suitable for the outdoors. If you have patio lounge chairs with removable pillows, these work great.
- Table or crates. I think crates are perfect for a romantic picnic. I found craft crates that I stained myself, but it’s easy to find them already stained. You can also opt for a low table or even take your picnic to the patio table instead.
- Bluetooth speaker (and romantic playlist). Although we considered finishing up our Stargate binge watching during our picnic, we opted for some romantic music instead (yes, we’re nerds). Pull together a list of your favorites or pick a station that streams and add some ambiance to your outdoor date night.
- Take-out from a favorite restaurant. No need to cook, just grab your favorite dishes from places you both enjoy. We dined on steak kabobs, salad, potatoes, rosemary garlic bread and chocolate cake from a couple of our favorite spots. Just be sure to time things well so you’re not eating cold food.
- Something to drink. Quite honestly, this was my favorite part of the picnic! I don’t drink wine often, but when I do, I’m always conflicted about whether I want Moscato or Riesling so I was over-the-moon-excited about the new Sutter Home Moscato/Riesling Blend. It. Was. Perfect. It complemented our meal and time together so well. Sutter Home wines are so affordable and I love that they’ve been family-owned for 65 years. You have to try the new varietal blends. They will be the icing on the cake for your summer picnic.
- Wine glasses. We’ve gone completely stemless these days, but whether stemmed or not, you don’t want to forget to bring them. Sure, you can use “regular” cups, but the right wine glass will make your date a bit more special. So, as I say around the house, make the effort.
- Portable wine chiller. If you’re bringing white wine, you gotta keep it cold. I bought a portable, insulated wine carrier that was perfect for keeping our Moscato/Riesling cool.
And don’t forget these:
- Serving utensils
By the way, you can find all the specific items I used for our picnic on my Romantic Picnic Pinterest board. The links will lead you directly to the stores I got them from.
I cannot wait to hear stories about your romantic picnic, so start planning and let me know if you have any questions. If you need other ideas, check out my 21 Simple Romance Ideas and my 12 Days of Romance Scavenger Hunt. Try them all and be sure you enjoy them with one of the new Sutter Home varietals. Have you tried them yet? What’s your favorite?
Invitation Instructions: For the printable version – Click the image and it will open in a new window. Simply print and cut if you’d like. For the sendable version – On your computer, right-click and save. On your mobile device, press and hold on the picture and choose “Save Image.”
Anitra is the founder of The Mama Zone and she’s been sharing useful tips for mom here since 2009.