It’s holiday time, and you know that means we’re diving into Family Fun Magazine again. It definitely doesn’t take a holiday to get us on their site, but when it’s time for special occasion crafts, it’s our absolute go-to-site.
This time we set out to find the perfect Valentine’s day card for my six year old. It’s not always easy to find Valentine’s crafts for boys, but we had no trouble at all. Our choice: “The Caped Cute-Sader.” It was fun to do, easy to complete and an absolutely unique Valentine’s treat. Here are the instructions along with our adaptations. Enjoy…
Grab your supplies:
- Family Fun’s cape and mask template
- Cardstock or construction paper
- Glue stick or heart shaped stickers
- Hole punch
Get to work:
Decide if you’ll use construction paper or cardstock. We started with cardstock, but my son says capes need to be able to move, so we switched to construction paper.
- If you choose cardstock, just print your template directly onto the cardstock and make as many as you need. Skip to #5.
- If you choose construction paper, print just one template on cardstock and cut it out to use as your stencil.
- Fold a sheet of construction paper in quarters and trace the cape onto the paper.
- Trace the masks onto that same folded paper if you have room.
- Cut the capes and masks out.
- Write your message on each cape. We started with “You are a Super Friend!” and then changed it to “U R A Super Friend!” in the spirit of Valentine’s day treats. Have your little one sign the back.
- Cut and glue a heart on your capes or use heart stickers.
- Punch a hole in the top center of each cape.
- Slide the lollipops into the holes on the cape. Push the hole over the wrapper to keep it in place.
- Draw eyes on the masks and wrap them around the lollipop tops. Secure with tape on the back.
And you’re done.
We suggest you get creative—add hair, special eyes, more stickers, and get as complicated as you want. If you’re looking for a way to transport them, styrofoam works great (and this mom blogger has plenty of that laying around)!
We hope you’ll enjoy sharing these with your super friends, and you can see all the details of our project, from shopping trip to finish, in our Google + album! Happy Valentine’s Day super friends. Enjoy…
This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. My opinions are always my own.